The answers you will find in this section are generic and should not be treated as legal advice. They are for education and guidance purposes, designed to ensure that business owners ask the right questions of their advisors and have a context within which to take informed decisions. In all scenarios, there are a number of factors which should influence your decision-making. These include:
- the legal context
- your sector norms
- what your contract of employment says
- how much of a risk the situation poses to your business
- the actual or potential costs involved
- your personality and attitude to risk
- the views and perception of your employees
There are also some basic rules which we advise you to follow:
- Be consistent – You do not want the risk of a discrimination claim
- between employees
- over time
- Practice what you preach and lead by example.
- Document what you do, then do it, do not break your own rules.
- Be realistic
- Communicate everything
- Take your staff on your journey with you. You need them.
The questions and answers that you will find in this section are typical of the issues we help our client deal with on a day-to-day basis. We would love to hear from you and if you have a question that you would like answered, please pop it in an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send it to us via twitter @DOHR and #askDOHR.
There are transcripts and captions available for all videos, so please #AskDOHR
Disciplinary & Grievance